Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Differentiated Instruction

After the meeting we went to, on Friday afternoon, hosted by the Peel District School Board, I realized that everything I am learning in class and the experiences I am getting in practicum, are all finally coming together.

My practicum placement in the grade one classroom provides me with the opportunity to work with a range of student abilities. The need for differentiated instruction has been very evident right from the beginning. Whether related to abilities, English as a second language or special needs, I am planning according to the skills of each child. The challenges that teachers face when planning for various abilities can be overcome with the help of advice from colleagues or by accessing resources. I noticed that discussion with other students is very helpful and provides me with a variety of ideas and strategies that I can use in the classroom.

I think collaboration is a key factor to being an effective teacher.

No comments: