Things To Know
- It is natural for children who are being bullied to feel scared and helpless.
- Bullying often occurs because children do not have high self-esteem.
- Do not promise to keep the bullying a secret.
- Work along with the school, parents and other teachers to deal with the issue together.
- Model good communication and an unbiased attitude within the classroom.
- Talk about diversity and acceptance.
- "Don't fight back, go and tell an adult you trust".
- Inform parents that it is alright to ask if their child is being bullied or if they are bullying other children.
Peel Committee on Sexual Assault/Peel Committee Against Woman Abuse, November 2002
Activity: Drew, Naomi. (1987). Being Human is Being Special. Learning the Skills of Peacemaking, Jalmar Press.
Read this poem: I look in the mirror and who do I see? My very own person who looks just like me. I look at my eyes, I look at my face, knowing that no one on earth or in space is quite like I am, one of a kind. My body is special and so is my mind. Each person alive has something special to give. We each make a difference each day that we live. I love myself and I love others too. The world is a special place. 'Cause it has me and you.